Private Investigations and Personal Security/An employee is being stalked. Help.

I have an employee who has had her life turned upside down by a cyber stalker. Basically, this employee had a blogsite where she went into detail about her private (sexual) lifestyle.  Unfortunately, she left some identifying marks that helped the stalker trace her place of work, her husband, where her husband works, family members, etc.

Over the past 8 months or so, the stalker has been mailing packages to her, her husband's work, her work, her brother's house with full printout of blogs, pictures, etc.  They have been threatening - demanding information or threatening greater exposure - which, from my understanding, makes it a criminal action.

We believe the stalker is a woman (pretty certan about it) and due to other occurrences think we know her IP Address.  

Other people have tagentially been harmed but we can't locate the stalker - or do anything about it. Requests to postal authorities have pretty much gone unanswered.  

This is a huge issue causing a large amount of distress.  Any suggestions

Thanks for trying so hard to help an employee who is being stalked.  Many stalking victims get no help or support from employers, and often have to change jobs.

Cyberstalking is difficult to combat, but there are resources. Organizations like the following may be able to help:
Working to Halt Online Abuse
Safety Net Project of Nat'l Network to end DV
Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

The FBI also has responsibility for investigating stalking that occurs across state lines, so if that might apply here, try your local FBI office.

Whether his behavior actually meets the requirements of your
state's stalking law, I could not say, but you could look into the
issue - most states have information about their laws online, or you
can check a web site such as:

Some states require that the person being stalked feel afraid as
a result of the stalker's actions; some states require that the
stalker make some kind of threat.  Some states include email as a
prohibited media for harassment; some states don't mention it. 
Some states make stalking a misdemeanor, some make it a felony.
Every state is different, but all states have laws against

If it appears that this behavior is illegal in your state, contact the local police.  You might have to be persistent to fine someone there who can help.

I hope this helps.  And again, thank you for staying with this woman in her fight against her stalker.  Good luck, and stay safe.

- Lyn  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Lyn Bates

Are you being stalked? I can help evaluate the amount of danger you are in, and can provide very specific suggestions for increasing your safety, and for managing your situation. As a founding member and the current Vice President of AWARE (a volunteer, nonprofit organization), I have helped thousands of women learn to protect themselves from crimes ranging from minor harassment to serious assault. I am currently writing a book on safety for stalking victims. I have lectured at annual training meetings of the American Society of Law Enforcement Training, Women in Federal Law Enforcement, the International Women Police Association, the American Society of Criminology, and the American Women`s Self-Defense Association. In 1997, the American Tactical Shooting Association gave me their annual Tactical Advocate Award for teaching and writing.