Private Investigations and Personal Security/Query

Question
I was wondering if it was within the law for a private investigator to conceal information about a crime from the police if given details about the crime by his client?
For example, the client might tell the PI that they had encountered a murdered body and had fled the scene due to not wanting to be involved as they feared they might be viewed as the prime suspect, despite the client claiming that he hadn't killed the relevant victim.

Also, I'm curious as to what tricks PIs can use which are still within the law in order to get info? For example, pretending to be a hotel guest who has lost his keys in order to get the maid to unlock a door  -is that still within the law, despite being dishonest?

Answer
Geoff,

Great question. In California, the Private Investigator's allegiance is to his client first. If an investigator has second hand knowledge (hearsay) of a crime he can be compelled to testify by way of a subpoena just like any other witness. However, you choose to use the term conceal information about a crime from the police which is very different. It appears that you are trying to combine the two. Using your example, the PI has information about a crime that is second hand. The PI did not see the crime itself nor did he take part in it. The PI doesn't even know if his client is telling him or her the truth. So the question for you is, how could the PI conceal information about a crime someone else allegedly has information about? So to conclude this portion of your question, a private investigator in not compelled to provide second nor 1st hand information about a crime that he did not witness, unless he is subpoenaed like all other citizens. If the PI conceals evidence of a crime it is illegal. (IE- Hides a gun used in a murder. Destroys records linking his client to a crime.)

With regards to your second question, there are so many tricks that we use most of which I would never disclose publicly. However, the techniques we've used over the include using a rouse or conducting a pretext to obtain certain information. Using your related example above, obtaining a key and accessing another hotel guests room would be criminal fraud, trespassing/burglary/breaking & entering, etc. in most states in the US. It is not illegal to be dishonest, however it is illegal to be dishonest when trying to intentional deceive others for personal gain or to damage another individual. This is fraud... It is a very thin line we walk but when PI's are dishonest in most cases we are not trying to hurt or steal from someone. PI's lie to get to the truth...

So having the skills to obtain needed information is one thing. Using certain techniques and being knowledgeable of the applicable laws are another... "With power comes, great responsibility!"

Hope this helps!!!

“The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts”
With high esteem,
Blessings, Peace & Prosperity!          

Claude D. Ammons - QM
Email addy. – Claude@Corinthian-Group.com

Surveillance Systems Group Inc.
Corinthian Group: PI # 26978/23070
EXECUTIVE LAW OFFICE
3175-E Sedona Court
Ontario, CA 91764
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ / 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 972-9639
Mobile # (909) 376-5609
2009 P.I.C.A. President
Visit us at http://www.Corinthian-Group.com

*~* Social Networking Sites *~*
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/WorkComp.InsuranceFraud
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Investigate4U
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudeAmmonsPI
Blog: http://SexLiesVideoViaPI.blogspot.com/

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons