Private Investigations and Personal Security/PI Career

Hi Claude,

I apologise if you donít like to answer these sort of questions but unfortunately none of the experts on this topic have given this as an option so I thought I would just give it a go anyway!

I am 25 and have spent most of my working life (8 years) as a Personal Assistant.  I have however always been very interested in investigation, problem solving and general searching through information to find answers.  So with that in mind have recently been thinking about trying to become a Private Investigator.

Obviously I donít expect overnight success.  I just wondered whether you could give me a few tips as to where I should start?  

I have found a few online courses, but have no idea whether these are either necessary or helpful.  And I canít find any jobs that are available in the offices of current Private Investigators.  So Iím a bit stuck!

I live in the UK and Iím not sure how that differs with the US.  But any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance,

I would suggest continuing your research and investigation into the types of online investigative courses that you deem appropriate for your skill-set.

I am a licensed California Investigator and am not knowledgeable about the requirements, schooling, etc. for investigators in the UK. Contacting investigators in or around the city which you reside will provide the best resources and knowledge.

If you truly enjoy research then this could be your biggest and most productive research project you'll ever undertake.

Each state in the US has its own laws governing private investigators. There are even some states that dont require investigators to be licensed.

Nonetheless, I obtain my 1st private investigative experience conducting surveillance investigation for a licensed investigator. I had several years conducting loss prevention (shop lift apprehension), was used to writing detailed report, conducting internal & external investigations and understood important aspects of surveillance. So your best bet might be to take any investigative job you can just to get your foot in the door. You might also consider other jobs (such as loss prevention, collections, etc.), that require similar skills to that of private investigators.

As far as online courses, I cannot recommend any off hand. However, if you do the research I have no doubt that you'll be able to distinguish a quality program. The most important thing is to acquire the knowledge...

Hope that helps...

ďThe Whole is Greater than the Sum of its PartsĒ

With high esteem,
Blessings, Peace & Prosperity!          

Claude D. Ammons - QM
Email addy. Ė
Surveillance Systems Group Inc.
Corinthian Group: PI # 26978/23070
3175-E Sedona Court
Ontario, CA 91764
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ / 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 972-9639
Mobile # (909) 376-5609
2009 P.I.C.A. President
Visit us at

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons

I enjoy answering questions relating to private & general investigations including but not limited to locates, skip tracing, surveillance, stalking, child custody, criminal defense, civil, corporate security/executive protection, workplace violence/threat assessments, personal security, security surveillance systems and GPS tracking/monitoring products & services. Specifically, I answer questions regarding state laws concerning private investigation practices, as well as the best practices & standard operating procedures used by most reputable private investigative firms. I can give you state & federal references when dealing with issues that may or may not be legal in your specific state. IE- Some states have laws which conflict with federal law such as California's "2 party law" for surreptitious audio recordings. I offer tips on how to identify the right investigative firm for your particular case and what type of questions that investigative firm should be asking you. QUICK TIP #1: NEVER hire a Private Investigative firm that is not concerned about providing you a written contract that specifically outlines the agreement and responsibilities of both parties!!! A written contract should be expected & demanded by both investigative firm and client 95% of the time. I have numerous resources and will point you in the right direction. Whether it is hiring an attorney, a specialist or offering tips on conducting LEGAL investigations & research yourself. I offer advise regarding the kind of info you can legally obtain, what's not legal for you to obtain and when you need to hire a professional to obtain the info on your behalf. Lastly, I have over 20 yrs of experience as a Security Professional/Consultant and 12+ yrs within the Investigative profession. As the 2009 President of a state Private Investigation Association, I have professional knowledge, experience & established resources that supply me with the most recent legislative issues & industry trends.

Corinthian Group experience includes but not limited to all areas of surveillance including Workers Compensation Insurance Fraud, Domestic Infidelity Cases, Computer Investigations & Forensics, Personal Injury & Automobile Liabilty, Loss Prevention, theft interviewing & interrogation techniques, Under Cover assignments, Stalking prevention & suppression, surveillance tactics & countermeasures and surveillance system & lighting consultation experience. Corinthian Group also has experience in security consultation & protective services to the corporate & private sector. These services include Bodyguard/Executive Protection, identity theft prevention, work place violence & volitale terminations, GPS tracking/monitoring services, TSCM/Debugging( Technical Surveillance Countermeasures) and security system products & diagramming experience.

2009 PICA President (Professional Investigators of California Association) NCISS (National Council of Investigations & Security Services)-Member CALI (California Association of Licensed Investigators)-Member SCFIA (Southern California Fraud Investigators Association)-Member WAD (World Association of Detectives)-Member

Publications Hellium: Blog: and my m

PSO (Security Course) Weaponless Defense Tai Karate & MMA training Wicklander & Zulawski-Interview & Interrogation Techniques Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST)-832 Level 3 CA State licensed Private Investigator-CA PI # 23070 Law Enforcement Training Center-Computer Investigations

Elected as the Association President of PICA in 2009. PICA was an Association that focused on legislative bills that would have a negative impact on our profession if passed at the state level... PICA was a member oriented association that was positioning itselt to provide its members with resources to help them successful grow and or sustain their businesses. Awarded for presentation of GPS Tracking devices. Honored for service as the 2009 PICA President and the 2008 & 2007 PICA 2nd Vice President respectively.

SCRMA (Southern California Risk Management Associates), Markel Insurance Corporation, Imhoff & Associations (Nationwide Criminal Defense Law Firm). Private clients are Confidential!