Private Investigations and Personal Security/Stalking

Question
QUESTION: Hi. I don't live in FL. Are phone numbers tracked to know location, even when the phone don't have gps? Do private investigators gang-stalk? Do these people try to get, for example a store employee to follow me around? Is there a database online where I can look up my name to know if someone has hired a private investigator to follow me?

ANSWER: Ben,

Wow, your questions have my head spinning. Let me sort it out and answer in sequence:

"Hi. I don't live in FL."
1. I don't blame you.  Florida is getting crazy as of late.

"Are phone numbers tracked to know location, even when the phone don't have gps?"
2. Yes, the technology does exist to ping a cell phone to find a location.  In fact, the technology exists to turn a phone on and use as a microphone to listen in on the cell phone owner.      

"Do private investigators gang-stalk?"
3. Yes.  Depending upon the amount of money a client wants to spend, an operation can be created and executed upon which is very elaborate.

"Do these people try to get, for example a store employee to follow me around?"
4.  It is certainly possible.

"Is there a database online where I can look up my name to know if someone has hired a private investigator to follow me?"
5. None that I know of.    

Comments:  I am not sure what is the basis for your paranoia, but if you think that you are being followed or watched, then chances are that you may be.  If you want to preserve your privacy then change up your routines, remove your social presence from the Internet, and
conduct your own counter-surveillance.  Stop and talk to the people you think are following you.  Photograph them.  Take notes.  At length you will determine if you are actually being followed or that your mind has gotten the best of you and is overreacting.      

4.    

QUESTION: Whoa. No wonder why I get strange calls, static on my phone and strange people showing up where I'm at. 3 more questions, sir. The phone number can be tracked, even without someone getting ahold of the phone itself to sneak in a tracking device? With or without a device placed in the phone, can the person look through my texts, phone call history, and know when I'm receiving/or placing a call? Also how can I get my phone company (I use a prepaid phone since I don't need much minutes) to tell me if my phone is being tracked? Thanks.

Answer
Ben,

"The phone number can be tracked, even without someone getting ahold of the phone itself to sneak in a tracking device?"

One way it can be done is through the cellphone provider.  That is rare.  The most common way is for someone to slip an app onto your phone.  The quickest way is to send an app to your phone.  This can be done if someone is in proximity to you and has access to your phone's signal.

"With or without a device placed in the phone, can the person look through my texts, phone call history, and know when I'm receiving/or placing a call?"  

Many times yes.  That is if the app or hardware was correctly installed.

"Also how can I get my phone company (I use a prepaid phone since I don't need much minutes) to tell me if my phone is being tracked?"

I am not sure that the phone carrier can tell if your phone has been compromised and is being tracked.  The best thing to do is to keep using prepaid phones and swap them out periodically.  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Jeffrey Hauck