Private Investigations and Personal Security/Finding Information

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

How difficult is it to determine the place of employment of someone, his/her marital status, his address, and educational credentials?  Are there any reliable Internet sites that are useful for this information?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: There are no single databases that can answer all of your questions.Address is the easiest, followed perhaps, by marital status by checking deeds, vehicle ownership and so forth. Those would be followed by employment, unless the person was an officer in a corporation, llc, or used a recorded fictitious name, properly filed which would simplify things. A phone pretext call might resolve each question so far. Verification of education will be the most difficult without a signed release. Educational institutions are not cooperative these days. However, depending upon what information is publicly available through searches, databases, associations, public resumes, and physical observation for school logos, shirts, hats and so forth, would be of help. All of this asdumes that you have no knowledge, suggestions or tips regarding the target.

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for the reply.

I'm not sure what this is: "A phone pretext call might resolve each question so far."

Can you explain?

And also, are W-2 forms regarded as public records? The Address and place of employment are shown on these.

I thank you for your follow-up reply.

Answer
Kenneth, W:2 records are not public and there is no legal source, absent a subpoena or voluntary examination to access them. I am quite positive that there would be criminal sanctions and penalties at the Federal level to attempt access.

A pretext call is as an example:

Hi, Mr. Jones? My name is Robert aroe and I am the Manager of Sears in (name a nearby city). I am pleased to inform you that you were randomly selected by our home office for a $250 gift card good at any Sears store. You will not be required to apply for a credit card, but we do need a few demographic questions before I mail the card to you.

Are you married or single?
What is your wife's first name, so either of you can use the card.
How long have you been employed, and where?
Lastly, what is the highest level of education you have attained? What is the name of the schools?

OK, I can send the card out or if you select the closest dtore, I can have it waiting at customer service. Which would you prefer?

Thanks!

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Harvey E. Morse