You are here:

Private Investigations and Personal Security/How To Find A Defendant's Correct Address For Civil Warrant Delivery


Hello Mr. Flaksman,

I was stopped in city traffic when a woman struck the rear end of my Jeep on 12-02-2015, severely damaging my rear bumper. She was driving in her mother-in-law's car whose insurance had expired on it in October 2015. The mother-in-law has told me twice since 12-05-2015 that the daughter-in-law (the driver), has gone to Washington to try and get the money to fix my car, of which I believe is a fabrication. The estimate for my bumper replacement is $624.80.

I wish to take this woman,(the driver), and her mother-in-law, (the car owner), to small claims court. The daughter-in-law gave me her home and business address, that I later found out, was her mother-in-law's home and business address.

I must give the small claims court the mother-in-law's correct address and the daughter-in-law's correct address for civil warrants to be delivered to them, because I shall be suing both of them in small claims court.

The problem I am anticipating is emailing the mother-in-law and asking her only for her daughter-in-law's correct address. It may spook the mother-in-law that I may be proceeding with a court action and she may protectively not wish to tell me the daughter-in-law's correct address for the civil warrants to be delivered to.

In such an event, then how can I go about obtaining the daughter-in-law's correct address through public records or by other means?

Thank you for any help.

Mike E.


Thanks for being very descriptive. This project isn't something that is "do-it-yourself" because you do not have access to databases that private investigators do. If you e-mail me at with all identifying information you have such as:

- Mother's name and address
- Daughter's name
- Any phone number's you have
- License plate of vehicle
- Any other identifying information you may have

we can probably get you the needed address at no charge.

Also, just so you know, you will be trying to serve a civil subpoena, not a civil warrant. There is a big difference.

Another piece of advice: the sheriff's department will make 3-4 attempts at service. They may not be successful. If they are unsuccessful, you will have to hire a local process server (cheaper than hiring a local private investigator) to serve the civil subpoenas.

Thank You,

Oleg Flaksman
O&O Investigations, Inc

Private Investigations and Personal Security

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Oleg Flaksman


I can help with general private investigative question including procedures and legal aspects of surveillance, child custody, asset searches, background searches, due diligence, accident investigations, divorce investigations, domestic investigations and more!


I am a CA licensed private investigator (#27254). I have worked as an investigator for the past 5 years in N.Y. and C.A. I started my career as a surveillance investigator and then began researching other option in the Private Investigations Profession.

I am in several associations including: California Association of Licensed Investigators, National League of Licensed Investigators, United States Association of Professional Investigators, Private Investigators of California, Southern California Fraud Investigators, and the Association of Certified Background Investigators.

Detectives Training Institute. Baruch College.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]