Private Investigations and Personal Security/Bail Bonds

Question
I was hoping you could help me with a few questions I have for this script I’m writing. One on bail bonds and another on bounty hunters.

1) Do judges offer bail for more serious crimes (in this case arson. No casualties only damaged property but there were people in the building)? If so, do you by any chance know around how much bail could be set for such a serious crime (I know there’d be a lot of factors to take into account but just a ballpark number)? What makes someone a flight risk?

2) As a bounty hunter what is ones obligation? Does he have to apprehend the bail jumper and take him back to authorities to get paid or for example, if a jumper is considered dangerous could it be just enough to call the cops when a bounty hunter finds them without actually apprehending him? Does he still get paid?

Thank u very much for your time

Answer
To answer your first question yes judges do offer bail for serious crimes. For the crime you stated where there where people in the building at the time it would depend on the judge , the cost of the damage, the individual that is accused of the crime (criminal or non criminal) and flight risk. The second part of the question I did some research and I saw that two of the three cases I read about where given the chance to post bail and one wasn’t. The one that was not able to get bail was because the judge said that do to great risk to the firefighters that he would not issue bail. But another judge gave bail to a girl who burned her house down with her family in it with no injuries. So as you see it is up to the individual judge .
I can tell you that for the offense you stated I saw bail issued from $100,000.00 to one million ,this also depending on the severity of the losses.

The second part of your question in regards to flight risk. A person is considered a flight risk if they have nothing to keep them from running such as a family with small children in the house ,good job, and no criminal record. If they have nothing to lose they are considered a flight risk.

Part three of your question. Yes a Bounty Hunter has to catch the fugitive in ordered to be paid . A Bounty hunter has a limited amount of time to catch a fugitive before the Bailbondsman that he works for has to pay the courts. A Bounty Hunter can use the police to assist him in the apprehension of a fugitive but he has to take the person into custody not the police. And when he turns the fugitive back into the custody of the town or jail he fled from the Bounty Hunter has to get his bail receipt punched with a time and date stamp with an official signature in order to be paid and for the bailbondsman to be free from that debt.  I hope this can help you.

Good Luck  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Lawrence Sanchez