Private Investigations and Personal Security/Cameras

Question
My question is regarding the legality of video used for security in a business. Can security video legally have audio also, or must it be purely video? I think at least in court all videos must be all video, no audio? What legal issues are there with video survelience?

Answer
James,

It depends on the state. Here in California we have what is called a " two party state". This means that both parties (the recorder & the recorded) must give consent to have audio recorded during a conversation. However, if it is in a public setting and there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, then you can record audio anytime.
However, if a state doesn't have a law regarding audio recording, then the Federal laws is a 1 party state/consent.
Nonetheless, if you are on private property and you have permission for both audio and or video, then it is wise to have these things posted in plan view. IE-This property is constantly monitored by audio recordings. etc.
With that said, I am not an attorney and this is not legal advise. Always err on the side of caution.

With regards to video, the main restriction for video is the reasonable expectation of privacy. If your in public building, setting etc. and or the person be recording can be observed by the general public, there should be no reasonable expectation of privacy.
If it is your business and you own the building and or have permission from the owner and you have the legal state and or federal right, then you should have no problems.
Also, if you have a zoom capabilities or other extras that would allow you to obtain video that couldn't be obtained by the naked eye from the same location, then you should be OK.
Keep in mind that the courts will determine what is admissible and what is not. Google your state and put in audio and video recording laws for that state.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Claude Ammons -QM
Claude Ammons-QM
Email addy.- Claude@Corinthian-Group.com

Alpha & Omega Foundation Enterprises Inc. DBA...
Corinthian Group/P.I. # 23070
517 N. Mountain Ave. # 118
Upland, Ca 91786
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ = 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 923-7297
Member:  N.C.I.S.S.
P.I.C.A.-2nd VP
S.C.F.I.A.
W.A.D.

Visit us at http://Corinthian-Group.com

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons