Private Investigations and Personal Security/FOLLOW UP

I am writing a story in which an investigator looks for a missing teen. She may leave names in a diary and the detective questions each person. But one runs from the investigator. The investigator pursues, but the guy runs because he doesn't want the woman he is to marry to know he was with the girl. How would the detective know he was telling the truth? What would clear him? Thanks.

ANSWER: I am a little confused as to what exactly you would like to know.  How would the detective know the man was telling the truth about what?  Clear the man from what?

Please provide more details so I may answer your question properly...

QUESTION: I am sorry I wasn't clear. The girl has disappered and the guy told the detective he has nothing to do with it although he knew her. What would make the detective know he was telling the truth so he could go on to other suspects?

I understand what you're asking but it's a very open-ended question that has no hard and fast answer.  Usually, you get the truth only when you locate the missing person.  He could have a verifiable alibi or some other proof of innocence.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.  Good luck with your story!

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean Carroll

I can answer just about any question which relates to police work, personal security, home & business security, or general law.

I am a 9 year veteran of a major metropolitan police department as a Major Crimes Detective. I have prior experience in the private security sector as well. I also previously owned a security solutions business where we specialized in digital security and surveillance systems including residential and commercial alarms.

I have both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in Criminal Justice.