Private Investigations and Personal Security/False Arrest:

In general when someone is falsely arrested without
probable cause and maliciously, in your experience
how much might one be monentary awarded? Do you have
a "general" idea of a average figure in these type of
law suit settlements?

The dollar amount of settlements in false arrest cases runs the gamut from thousands to millions - it really depends on the circumstances of the case.  The key is understanding how the laws in your state specify what constitutes a false arrest and the remedies for such.  Proving intent (i.e. "maliciously") is the linchpin to a case like this.  Most jurisdictions provide a certain level of immunity to law enforcement officers acting in "good faith."

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean Carroll

I can answer just about any question which relates to police work, personal security, home & business security, or general law.

I am a 9 year veteran of a major metropolitan police department as a Major Crimes Detective. I have prior experience in the private security sector as well. I also previously owned a security solutions business where we specialized in digital security and surveillance systems including residential and commercial alarms.

I have both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in Criminal Justice.