Private Investigations and Personal Security/Home Security

What would be the best way to protect my home.  I travel often and need to feel that my home is safe.

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I have been travelling and my Internet access was limited.  The keys to good home security have 3 basic elements - neighbours / visibility, detection / response, and physical security.  Then on the inside, prominent property marking is a highly effective strategy to make otherwise attractive items less so.  My suggestions are to get to know your neighours, install a reliable alarm system with very load internal (for the burglar) and external (for the neighbours) sirens, and have good quality key operated lock on doors and windows.  I always recommend that an alarm system be monitored so that you know as soon as possible that there has been an activation - you can either have professional monitoring or arrange for the system to call your cell phone.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Rick Draper

I can answer questions about Security Risk Analysis and Physical Security Reviews; Security Risk Management Planning; Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design; Forensic Security Analysis and “Expert Witness” Reports; Security Systems Design and Review (CCTV, Detection Systems, Information Security, Access Control, Security and Architectural Hardware); Security Awareness Programs; Security Risk Management Training, and Professional Development.

Past/Present clients
Clients include cash handling facilities, financial institutions, parliament buildings, schools, offices, universities, health care facilities, railway stations, heritage buildings, health insurer, transport interchanges, pharmaceuticals manufacturer, warehousing facilities, libraries, critical sites, and government buildings.