Private Investigations and Personal Security/International Counterintelligence Services, Inc.

Question
Hi again Marc,

Sorry to bother you again, but as a newbie I would like to get off to a good start & avoid getting burned in becoming a P.I. I think after getting started, learning from books, and O.J.T. through a local agency(s), I can pose less frequent questions for you experts thereafter.
I have decided it best in my state,(TN.), to apply for a company license. That way I could sub-contract through other agencys as well as lining up my own work,(hopefully after some possibly non-paid sub-contracting experience), avoiding being trapped into one sponsoring agency as a non-company P.I. & the apprentice thing, which I've learned can be a great experience or one might become a "gopher", with sub-standard learning opportunities.
I located "International Counterintelligence Services Inc." during a web search. The site is very well laid out. After giving $89.00 to I.P.I.U., then finding many I.P.I.U. complaints on the "Rip Off Report", I did a "Dogpile Search" for terms such as, "beware, scam, complaints, poor, and reviews" including the name International Counterintelligence Services, Inc.(ICS).
I found only 2 complaints on one site and 0 complaints on the "rip Off Report" regarding ICS. One complaint mentioned one could view several complaints on ICS with the BBB. I searched the terms "Better Business Bureau, International Counterintelligence Services" but got nothing good or negative. I have found 2 local agencys stating they'd have some work I could do once I'm licensed, but I'm also curious if ICS is a good company. At least they appear to be.

Would you have any knowledge from your own or other's experience concerning ICS?

I thank you again very much.

Best,

Mike E.

Answer
Hello Mike,

It is always best to form a company. This separates your personal and professional finances. It also puts you on solid ground to sub-contract work from other companies. I have a tip unrelated to your question, but one you might appreciate. There is alot of money to be made in process serving. This goes hand in hand with private investigation. It can be quite lucrative if you have a solid base of law firms as clients. Now on to ICS. I don't know why you want to join them, but they do meet all Better Business Bureau standards of membership. They are authorized to bear the BBB Seal. The BBB provides the following information :

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record     
BBB Definition:

satisfactory  record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on BBB files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the BBB with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the BBB's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.  

with the BBB. A satisfactory record     
BBB Definition:

means a company has been in business for at least 12 months, and properly addressed matters referred by the BBB. The company does not have an unusual volume of complaints, or any government actions involving its marketplace conduct. The BBB understands and has no concerns about the company's products, services and type of business.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The BBB processed a total of 17 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.Of the total of 17 complaints closed in 36 months, 13 were closed in the last year.

Contract Issues     
BBB Definition:

Contract  Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor contract or agreement, work performed without authorization, or invalid contract.  

Resolved     
BBB Definition:

Resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.  

2 -  Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
  Administratively Closed     
BBB Definition:

Administratively  Closed - The BBB determined that the complaint could not be satisfactorily settled using standard methods of voluntary dispute resolution  

1 -  BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Billing or Collection Issues     
BBB Definition:

Billing  or  Collection  Issues - Claim alleging billing errors, unauthorized charges, or questionable collection practices.  

Resolved     
BBB Definition:

3 -  Company resolved     
BBB Definition:

resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues.  

the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.
     1 -  Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
     1 -  Company resolved     
BBB Definition:

the complaint issues, but not within the BBB's timeframe.
  Administratively Closed     
BBB Definition:

1 -  BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.

Sales Practice Issues     
BBB Definition:

Sales  Practice  Issues - Claims of alleged sales presentations made in person or by telephone that contain misrepresentations of the product or service, high pressure sales practices, failure to disclose key conditions of the offer, and verbal representations not consistent with written contractual terms or agreements.  

Resolved     
BBB Definition:

Service Issues     
BBB Definition:

Service  Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.  

Resolved     
BBB Definition:

2 -  Company resolved     
BBB Definition:

4 -  Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.

Guarantee or Warranty Issues     
BBB Definition:

Guarantee  or  Warranty  Issues - Claims alleging failure to honor the terms regarding guarantees or warranties.  

Resolved     
BBB Definition:

1 -  Company resolved     
BBB Definition:

Licensing

This company is in an industry that may require licensing, bonding or registration in order to lawfully do business. The BBB encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain any requirements are currently being met.

These agencies may include:

Industrial Commission Of Arizona
800 W. Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 542-4515
www.ica.state.az.us

Company Management

Additional company management personnel include:

Mr. W. David Rabern - Senior Consultant
Mr. Jeremiah Hamilton - Case Manager
Mr. Jim Stevenson - Senior Analyst
Abdel Briouig - Coordinator
Mr. Karl Kurtz - Manager

Additional DBA's, Addresses, and Telephone Numbers

Additional DBA Names
I.C.S.

Additional Addresses
4383 N. 75th Street #101(former)
Scottsdale, AZ  85251-3504

Additional Phone Numbers
Tel: (602) 224-9225
Tel: (800) 736-7013
Tel: (480) 948-2021
Tel: (800) 828-9198
Tel: (602) 254-8888

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Marc

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Marc Bailey