Private Investigations and Personal Security/P.I. Trainee

Question
Hello Lyn,
After requesting such, I received an I.P.I.U.(International Private Investigators Union) packet stating they have "verified 4 national agencies willingness to hire and train myself on an as needed basis for assignments in my local area." Requirements are an F.B.I. monitored photo I.D., completion of a Criminal Warrants Registration Application, 18 yrs. of age, and high school English and Math.
I'm asked to mail my "Criminal Warrants Registration Application" to "Agent Records" I.P.I.U. Unit-International Dept.--P.O. Box 2760--U.S.A.--59911--2760. They also ask if I care to join their union, providing job openings, newsletter for P.I.s, etc. for 5 bucks/mo., which doesn't sound too bad.
I also hold a Master's of Science in Oriental Medicine and could do P.I. work part time.
Ny question is-Have you ever heard of this IPIU organization, and would they be as good a vehicle as any to break into the P.I. field?
Than you greatly!

Sincerely

Michael D. Eidson, LAc.

Answer
I have not heard of the IPIU, but that might not mean much because I am not familiar with most PI professional organizations.  

I would suggest that before you join anything, you read all the information you can about the organization, including doing a general search engine inquiry to turn up information that is not on the group's own web page.  You can also try searching on general keywords like "private investigator" "professional organization" or union to find other groups to compare with this one.

Other things to check out are whether the organizaiton is a nonprofit group (usually website .org, but not always) or a commercial one (usually .com, but not always).  Commerciall ones are more likely to want your money.

Another good kind of information is who is associatied with the group, both in terms of the people who run the organization and members.  Try to find out things like how long the organizaiton had been in existence.

Since, as you said, it is not much money to join, you might want to try it for a while.  

Sorry I can't be more specific.  Good luck with your desire to do PI work!  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Lyn Bates