Private Investigations and Personal Security/Private investigations

While doing a background investigation on a government employee, can an investigator tap the person's phone that they are investigating? Can the investigator listen to the potential employees phone calls?

No private citizen (which is what a private investigator is)  may "tap" ( which is an unlawful intercept of anyone's phone calls. Period

Recording phone calls is a different matter and the laws vary from state to state. The federal law says that only one party to the conversation must be aware of the fact that the call is being recorded, while different states require that everyone must be aware of the call being recorded. For example, in California, all parties to the conversation must be told that the conversation is being recorded. You should check with your local and state government to ascertain what the specific law in your state it.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Nichols (Nic) J. Smith

I can answer almost any question with regards to the individual state laws concerning private investigators; best practices and procedures used in private investigations;how to determine if the agency or investigator you are contemplating using is sufficiently qualified to do the work and if an investigation was conducted in accordance with the standards of practice and care used in the professional investigative industry. I can also direct you with regards to doing your own research in certain situations, such as finding someone who owes you money. I can steer you through the database "minefield" with regards to which databases contain useful information and which don't. I can also advise regarding the kind of information that you can legally obtain and what's not legal.

Life Fellow- American College of Forensic Examiners

Morgan Lewis and Brockius (Int'l Law firm) Sedgwick, Detert (Int'l Law Firm) Bingham McCutheon (Int'l Law Firm