Private Investigations and Personal Security/Security guard


What are the steps a person must take in order to work for a security company, specifically an armored transport that carries cash from stores and banks to various other locations?  Does one have to undergo a "training period" or is training done on the job?  Are armored truck services private or does one have to go through the government in order to apply?  What sort of previous experience or education is usually demanded by someone who wants to take on that for a career?  I appreciate your help.

Hi Augusto,
The answer to your question depends very much on local jurisdictional requirements.  In many places cash-in-transit officers are required to be licensed, and the licensing requires both completion of training / demonstration of competence, and background checks.

I suggest you locate your local Chapter of ASIS ( and I am sure that they will be able to advise you on the local requirements.

Very best regards,


Private Investigations and Personal Security

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Rick Draper


I can answer questions about Security Risk Analysis and Physical Security Reviews; Security Risk Management Planning; Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design; Forensic Security Analysis and “Expert Witness” Reports; Security Systems Design and Review (CCTV, Detection Systems, Information Security, Access Control, Security and Architectural Hardware); Security Awareness Programs; Security Risk Management Training, and Professional Development.


Past/Present clients
Clients include cash handling facilities, financial institutions, parliament buildings, schools, offices, universities, health care facilities, railway stations, heritage buildings, health insurer, transport interchanges, pharmaceuticals manufacturer, warehousing facilities, libraries, critical sites, and government buildings.

©2017 All rights reserved.