Private Investigations and Personal Security/Type of Investigations To Pursue

Hello again Marc,

I would like to become a private investigator specializing in personal/business background checks, pre marital/relationship screens, missing persons, re-uniting birth parents & children, skip tracing, product liability, employee character screening, corporate espionage, and company vs.competitor investigations.

My question is, can one eventually make a decent living,(I guess to me that would mean, at the least, making a living from one occupation), performing the above investigations as opposed to going the surveillance type invesrigations route?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd enjoy being more of a researcher/information gathering type investigator as opposed to investigators involved with odd hours filming and photographing domestic and criminal/drug/sting operation type issues.

I've spoken with a few P.I.s around my locale, but it seems that they are enjoying or performing more surveillance/infidelity types of activities.

Is this because these investigators might consider surveillance/filming/photographing more profitable or might surveillance activities be somewhat easier than the data-base accessing and researching segment of private investigations?

I would very much appreciate a response from an experienced professional.

Thank you greatly.

Mike E.

I was once talking with the head of a bounty hunting group. His observation was that he could find 'muscle' with his eyes closed ... what he really needed was someone who knew their way around paperwork and telephones.

In the same vein one of the best books I ever read about mercenary work was by Paul Balor. Who advised (paraphrased) while  a tin pot dictator loves the image of a brave soldier standing on the back of a Jeep next to a .50 caliber machine gun, more than likely the Jeep doesn't run and the machine gun is rusty and has no ammo. What most third world armies need is a good supply Sergeant and someone who can handle logistics.

What you're talking about is what most people
a) find mindnumbingly boring
b) do a slip shod job
If you have a gift for being able to do that kind of work, then you have something that most people don't. My suggestion is that you spend some time refining that skill. If there are any large security firms around I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts they'd be wanting to talk to you if you're interested in doing the stuff that everyone else considers drudge work

Private Investigations and Personal Security