Private Investigations and Personal Security/Type of Investigations To Pursue

Question
Hello again Kevin,

I would like to become a private investigator specializing in personal/business background checks, pre marital/relationship screens, missing persons, re-uniting birth parents & children, skip tracing, product liability, employee character screening, corporate espionage, and company vs.competitor investigations.

My question is, can one eventually make a decent living,(I guess to me that would mean, at the least, making a living from one occupation), performing the above investigations as opposed to going the surveillance type invesrigations route?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd enjoy being more of a researcher/information gathering type investigator as opposed to investigators involved with odd hours filming and photographing domestic and criminal/drug/sting operation type issues.

I've spoken with a few P.I.s around my locale, but it seems that they are enjoying or performing more surveillance/infidelity types of activities.

Is this because these investigators might consider surveillance/filming/photographing more profitable or might surveillance activities be somewhat easier than the data-base accessing and researching segment of private investigations?

I would very much appreciate a response from an experienced professional.

Thank you greatly.

Best,

Mike E.

Answer
Surveillance rates for PI's run $65.00 per hours and $0.50 per km,  backgrounds go from $250.00 to $1000.00 and up. Both areas of investigation areas are profitable, its not one or the other in my view.  The majority are working for insurance firms doing disability surveillance.  It's just the norm.

Computerization and privacy laws are making the future of PI work almost non existent making fraud and those who commit fraud a growth industry.

Your better off taking insurance adjusting courses getting into fire, property, fraud, claims, marine etc..

I have a friend of mine who just became an adjuster for a marine insurance company.  He goes and takes photos of boats and ships as it relates to fire and theft.  He works with the police, the fire marshal, the corner etc..

You need to think of your career objectives long term.  Stop thinking about getting into agencies and finding a job. Start taking as many courses at night or during the days you can get your hands on.    

If your going to ask me what courses I can only help you on the Canadian side.

Regards

Kevin Bousquet  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Kevin Bousquet