Private Investigations and Personal Security/bullying

Question
Good day,
My name is Luc and I am working on a project for my Information Technology class.  I was hoping that you might help me.  My research question is: “Why do people bully? Why is it so hard to stop bullying?”  Part of my research involves finding experts on the Internet.  I would really appreciate you answering a few questions for me.  I will take the information you provide me, compare it with what others have said and with other research findings, make some conclusions about my question, and then create a Web site.  
You need to be aware that I may be using any information you provide me on my Web site, but that I will keep your name confidential.  My Web site should be published by the middle of June and will be available on our school Web site (www.cmsweb.ca).
Here are my questions:
·   What is bullying?
·   Why do people bully?
·   Why is it so hard to stop bullying?

My email address is 20015@courtmid.sd71.bc.ca Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my research.
Luc

A note from my teacher:
Please know that by helping this student you will be helping with research and not doing the student's homework for him or her.  I have structured this project to include research by emailing experts.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at Luxenburg@sd71.bc.ca
Avi Luxenburg

Answer
Hi Luc,

The dictionary (dictionary.com) describes bullying as "To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner", but bullying takes many forms and is a deliberate act that has the effect of threatening, frightening or adversely affecting the wellbeing of another person.

You should also take a look at http://www.education.unisa.edu.au/bullying/define.html

For details of why people bully or tease, you should see http://ericcass.uncg.edu/virtuallib/bullying/1060.html, where they state:-

Why Children Tease
Children tease for a number of different reasons:

• Attention. Teasing is a good way of receiving negative attention, and, unfortunately, for many children, negative attention is better than no attention.

• Imitation. Some children model or mimic what is happening to them at home by acting the same way to others at school or in the neighborhood. These teasers are children who may be teased by siblings or who experience aggressive or harsh parenting.

• Feelings of superiority or power. Many teasers feel superior when they put others down, or they may feel powerful when teasing upsets others (Olweus, 1993).

• Peer acceptance. It is not uncommon to see children engage in teasing behavior because they may perceive it as being the "cool" thing to do. It may help them feel part of a group. The need to belong may be so strong that a child may tease others to be accepted by the "popular" children.

• Misunderstanding differences. A lack of understanding of "differences" may be the underlying factor in some teasing. Many children are not familiar with or do not understand cultural or ethnic differences. In some instances, a child with a physical or a learning disability may be the target of teasing because she is different. Some children criticize anyone who is different instead of trying to learn or understand what makes others special.

• Media influence. One cannot discuss the reasons children tease without acknowledging the powerful influence of the media. Our children are frequently exposed to teasing, put-downs, sarcasm, and a lack of respect in many of the television programs geared toward children.

The reason it so hard to stop bullying is that bully often doesn't recognise the impact of their behaviour and it becomes a habit that can last a lifetime.

You could also look at http://www.bullying.co.uk/school/school_projects.htm

I hope this helps.

Very best regards,

Rick

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Rick Draper