Private Investigations and Personal Security/child protection

dear sir,
         I have a 4 and 2 year old girl and boy respectively. i would like to do a background check on someone that is new to the family but is close to the family and may be spending time with my children. is there a way i can have this done that is not too expensive and still effective? thank you , eric in new jersey, usa

A large majority of the "private detective" websites and search engines you will find on the internet are useless or obselete at best.  They usually charge you a low "membership" fee but then want to charge you for each additional item once you find the information you're looking for.

I would like to preface the rest of my reply by stating that I have no ties, agreements or loyalties to any agency or company.  There are two ways I would proceed with a situation like the one you describe.  

First, you can pay to find information through a third party company that acts as an information broker.  Intelius is the only company that seems to provide current, accurate information.  The advantage to using their service is that it's quick and easy.  Obviously, you have to pay for it.  I believe the charges can range from $20 to $50 depending on what information you are looking for.  

The other way you can do it is the old fashioned way.  A Google search is the most common way of researching but it can be time consuming.  When I'm tracking someone down, I will use a combination of public records (many states have criminal record checks available as public records on-line), newspaper archives (in the area the person lives or came from) and other on-line search engine resources.  This way takes a bit longer but is free.

I hope this helps you and answers your question.  Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Wishing you good health and happiness

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean Carroll

I can answer just about any question which relates to police work, personal security, home & business security, or general law.

I am a 9 year veteran of a major metropolitan police department as a Major Crimes Detective. I have prior experience in the private security sector as well. I also previously owned a security solutions business where we specialized in digital security and surveillance systems including residential and commercial alarms.

I have both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in Criminal Justice.