Private Investigations and Personal Security/clues

Question
Hello, Inspector Healy:

Also in my story, a homicide officer recalls in a flashback scene of (this is fictional. made it up) a girl who tells the officer that she came home to find her single mother stabbed to death.
The girl is awful and her lack of emotion causes the officer to view her as a suspect.
How does the officer get evidence to support that the girl commited the murder? What clues might there be?

Thanks.

Answer
I am a bit confused here. Why would a police have a flashback. That is associated with repressed memory.

Lack of emotion is not a signal of  guilt or innocense. It is a signal of PTSD after an event.

An officer gets evidence, sort of as they do on TV. Crime scene forensics, interviews and background investigations. There is no magic formual to it.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

John M. Healy