Private Investigations and Personal Security/criminal investigations

Since you are an experienced law officer, I am addressing this to you.

I am writing a story in which a man fakes his own death to throw a private investigator or the cops off. But it doesn't work. He forgets something and the law knows that he is alive.
What mistake could he make for the detective to find him?

You have not really given me enough data. Why would someone do this to throw a Pi off. Through him off what?

Perhaps he keeps using his same social Security number
Does not change his appearence
Keeps in contact with friends and family

It could be anythiing your imagination can make up.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

John M. Healy

Licensed, bonded and insured investigator and security consultant. Retired State Police Lt. President New Hampshire League of Investigators, President New England Council of State Investigator Associations. I have over 28 yrs experience in the public and private sector. I author numerous article regarding the profession that have been re-printed in industry publications. I can answer any questions regarding professional investigate services, the role of the investigator, how to choose a professional, and other related questions.