Private Investigations and Personal Security/Have you ever heard of...

Question
Hello Ms. Bates, I have been looking at getting an education but I have found out that there are so many scams with PI schools it almost discourages my entire view of the industry. One of the reasons for my interest in this field is to take away some of my niave outlook and gulible views in life. I have been scammed before. I have been looking into Lion Investigation Academy. They actually offer a degree in the field and seem to be the most comprehensive school overall, that I can find. Do you know anything about this school? And if I were to walk into a PI office looking for a job would this degree hold any weight? I could use some guidance. Thank You for your time!   - Andrew

Answer
Andrew,

You are so wise to be interested in an education that will be appropriate to your career goals!  There are many jobs that you will be suited for if you have the right educational background.

I don't know much about specific PI schoools, unfortunately.  There are a few, such as ESI (Executive Security International) that are widely known, but most, probably like the Lion Academy you mention, are more local in their scope.

There are several ways that you can find out what schools are reputable and useful in eventual job hunting.  

You can look into the organizations that certify the schools you are interested in, since certification is sometimes a sign of a good program.  

You can call the Human Resources department of companies you would like to work for some day (such as Kroll, a big risk consulting company) and ask them what schools make a good impression when they screen resumes of people wanting to work for them.  

You can find professional organizations for the type of work you want to do (executive protection, private investigator, risk management, and so on), contact people in those organizations (websites often have at least the officers listed) and ask where they were trained, what training they advocate, and whether their organization offers training programs.

I hope this helps.  Good luck in your pursuit of eduation and a great career!

Stay safe,
     Lyn Bates

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Lyn Bates