Private Investigations and Personal Security/How is the polygraph currently...

Question
How is the polygraph currently used by federal agencies like the FBI, CIA, NSA, NRO, DoD, DOE, DEA, BATFE, and U.S. Secret Service, as well as state and local agencies? What laws, regulations, and guidelines govern the use of polygraphs for screening, criminal investigations, administrative investigations, and other purposes?

What goes on in a polygraph "test?" What kinds of questions are asked in a polygraph examination? What is a "lifestyle" polygraph? How does the lie detector "work"? Just how accurate is the polygraph? Can truthful people fail? Can liars beat the polygraph? How can you protect yourself against a false positive outcome

if i cheated on a test can or should i tell them is thta part of the questions, and what is menat by do u consider oyurself honest ? isnt that very subjective?";  

Answer
How is the polygraph currently used by federal agencies like the FBI, CIA, NSA, NRO, DoD, DOE, DEA, BATFE, and U.S. Secret Service, as well as state and local agencies?

It is used to detect decepyion in statements.

What laws, regulations, and guidelines govern the use of polygraphs for screening, criminal investigations, administrative investigations, and other purposes?

Varies state by state.

What goes on in a polygraph "test?"

Questions are asked, reactions to the answers cause changes in bolifly functions like BP and heart rate and breathing, resulkts are interpreted by a trained expert.

What kinds of questions are asked in a polygraph examination?

Depends upon the reason for the test. Questions to gauge the subjects recation and truthfullness and then specificquestions about specific things under inquiry.

What is a "lifestyle" polygraph?

Never heard of it.

How does the lie detector "work"?

It is just an instrument that mearue bllod pressure, bresthing, heart rate. galvanic skin response etc. These changes are then evaluated by the operator/expert/

Just how accurate is the polygraph?

Just like a gun it depends upon the operator and his training!

Can truthful people fail?

yes

Can liars beat the polygraph?

yes if the believe what they are statung is the truth, a "patholgical liar" can

How can you protect yourself against a false positive outcome

a trained operator. Highly trained by the RCMP or the DOD not some two weel polygraph school

if i cheated on a test can or should i tell them is thta part of the questions,
belive me ehre, this they will kmow

and what is menat by do u consider oyurself honest ?

They want to see your reaction to that question. IF you do not believe you, why should they

isnt that very subjective?";

yes

but if you do not consider yourself honest neother will they

Private Investigations and Personal Security

John M. Healy