Private Investigations and Personal Security/schools for p i's

I stay in the chicago area and have a 12 year career in sercurity and asset protection but i've been out of work 2 yeares . I want to go into another part of this field as a private investigator.  Are there any schools or training grounds for people who want to enter this field especially if they arent ex policemen? thanks

Most ex cops d not make it as PIs. There are some similarities but MANY differences. Cops who do not learn new tools fall flat on their face.

Before you go seeking a school look at the job market. Are their jobs available? What do they pay? Hourly or salary? If hourly how many hours per week? or just " as needed".

If you are thinking of being a self empoloyed private investigator check your local licensing laws before you go in search of a school. Most state licensing laws do not recognize what few schools are out there.

Your could look around at for schools and training but a school is not a guarantee it will get you a job. I have not really seen any good schools for this sort of thing. There are a lot of home study courses but all they give you is an outline of the subject matter, not real "training"

You should be asking local PIs this question.  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

John M. Healy

Licensed, bonded and insured investigator and security consultant. Retired State Police Lt. President New Hampshire League of Investigators, President New England Council of State Investigator Associations. I have over 28 yrs experience in the public and private sector. I author numerous article regarding the profession that have been re-printed in industry publications. I can answer any questions regarding professional investigate services, the role of the investigator, how to choose a professional, and other related questions.