Private Investigations and Personal Security/How to track a person by plate number

Question
I wrote down the plate nuber of a car who's tailght fell out on the highyway, and was not able to get them to stop.  I wrote down the plate number, but how do I find out who owns the car to report them to my insurance co.?  Thanks,  Richard

Answer
Any law enforcement agency can provide you with the owner's name by running the plate number. Also, your insurance company should have the means to track the owner by the plate number as well. It is very difficult for private citizens to obtain this information on their own. I hope this answers your question. I would like to share a story on why it should not be difficult to obtain a vehicle owner's name by plate number. A security officer in downtown Columbus, Ohio sent an e-mail to the security information network of central Ohio that he observed an Arab male photographing high rise buildings in the downtown area and provided a New York state plate number of the car the suspect was driving. This caused an elevated state of alert among building managers and security managers in the downtown area. I contacted the Intelligence Officer of the Columbus Police Department and he ran the plate. It turned out that the suspect was a Puerto Rican architectural student from the Rochester Insitute of Technology doing research for his Thesis. The heightened awareness was unwarranted. If it would have been easy to learn the identity of the individual via his plate number, alot of panic and extra man hours could have been avoided.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Marc Bailey