Private School/Which school should I attend?

I'm currently going to 10th grade next year, and I'm at a crossroads. I'm trying to choose between 2 schools to attend next year, with my parents factoring a major part into my decision. I will give a rundown of what each school provides and their benefits/drawbacks.

School A is a private school that I have attended for the past 4 years. As a result, I have made many friends there and am happy at that school. The teachers are excellent and I don't think I will get that kind of education in a public school. However, the academics are rigorous and I have doubts that I would be able to put in enough work to get straight A's there, which could affect my college placement (my parents are very academic-focused and insist that I must get at least straight A's in order to continue). My commute is 1 hour one way, so I get up pretty early to get to school by 8:30am. Money is also an issue. $30,000 a year is a lot of money for school. Basically, I like to be there, but I'm not sure whether it's the best for my future.

School B is a public school near my house, so commute is not an issue. It's also free, and it guarantees a spot in a state school, something School A doesn't do. The academics are less rigorous so it would be easier to get Straight A's. However, the quality of the education won't be as good and I may not be as comfortable in a larger school setting. Basically, my future would be a bit brighter, but I won't be getting the same quality I would get in a private school.

Do you have any thoughts about what school I should choose? If you need more information, I would be happy to provide it. I really appreciate any help I receive.

I will not suggest a solution to your dilemma; it is not my place.

I do have some suggestions for things to think about:
-have you asked a university or college (that you see as a goal school) admissions rep?
-depending on the schools, A's and B's at a rigorous and well-regarded private school may be considered 'better' than all A's at an easy public school.
-putting in the time and effort to drive to and work on all A's at a better school may be well worth your time.
-there is a lot to be said for the momentum of your current school, friends, etc.
-if the tuition is a hardship, your parents should speak to the financial aid officer.

I wish you luck!

Private School

Michael Wall

I am available to take questions on Alumni and development programs for college and K-12 schools. I do not take questions on closed for-profit schools.