You are here:

Private School/Phillips Jr. College


mammotty wrote at 2007-10-25 18:02:13
I am also a graduate from Phillips Jr. College, in Vanuys, CA.  I hold an AS degree in Computer Science.   They promised to get a job for me after graduation in 1996, but they went out of business in same year and I am still looking for a job in that field...feeling bad if the degree was valid or not...

Julie wrote at 2007-12-17 23:21:52
I am so sad and discouraged to know that there really is nothing to be done.  I also graduated from Condie Jr. College.  I received an Associate Degree in 1985 and although I paid my loan in full, I do not actually have a degree.  I have since started from scratch at Devry University and have racked up enough credits to earn another Associates Degree but owe tens of thousands of dollars.  It is very unfair as I have already paid a loan for the same thing. It does seem that the Department of Education or some other government entity should be able to do something for all of us who have essentially been scammed, especially since these things are supposed to be regulated.

Linda wrote at 2008-03-18 18:10:49
I was also given the address you have in Gulfport, MS. It unfortunately added to the frustration, by advising me that my transcripts were distroyed in hurricane katrina. I have contacted a lawyer and am looking for others who may be in a similar situation regarding Phillips Jr. College.

Kristina wrote at 2008-04-21 16:13:30
I'm trying to go back to school myself.  Thank god I have an unofficial copy of my transcripts.  I have a feeling I will still have problems getting into a school.  I called the # in Mississippi posted on here and a guy told me to call the proprietary school department of records in Sacramento to get my official transcripts.  I will try that and see how it goes.

Kristina wrote at 2008-04-21 17:25:18
If you did not graduate you can try to have you loans discharged-


If students don't transfer or complete studies and they've received a federally subsidized loan, they may be eligible to have the loan discharged. Students should contact their lender or the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-4-FEDAID or obtain more information, including a loan-discharge application, online at California residents who paid their tuition with private loans or cash can request compensation from California's Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF).  

Phyllis D wrote at 2008-04-25 00:24:27
I was 29 and going through a divorce and relocating to Campbell.  Needing a new challenge I walked into Condie College campus, Campbell and the woman who saw this fish acomin' was all over me.  She was a goddess to her profession, before I knew it I was enrolling for Associate of Art degree!  I had told this lady all of my secrets and she played me like a fiddle!  I attended my classes, I received my GED and took my hits!  Loved microeconomics so much, I took it twice! As wells Accounting I.  All the while Financial Aide is calling me to the office and I am signing mean I could have used that money to live on!!!!!  I was working at 711 for minimum wage and dining at work, which came out of my pay that Friday.  So getting thru school with my personal life, not seeing my children, living literally day to day.  My one accomplishment that could help me self esteem is my education.  Upon returning to class after a hiatus, I am called in to the office and sat down to be informed that my administrator, Mrs Alexander has been fired!  She was placing students in classes that they didn't need, to keep the course open and receive the aide perhaps?  So I was not graduating with my classes because I had more classes to complete since my administrator put me in some classes that I didn't need, and kept me out of some I did need????  So, at this point, my self esteem was SHOT!  " your a loser, cant even see this happening. Divorced loser"  Since then my wages have been garnished, I will never see my tax refund, OH and all this from a Department of Education Loan who you would think is also being conned?! Right!?!

I was a vulnerable woman, my life since, has been uplifted from this.  I feel mostly to blame since I tried to forget about and it would go away

Maria B. wrote at 2008-05-12 22:54:05
I have had the same experience since I graduated in 1993, most employers just looked at me like I was something from another planet.  I've just recently enrolled at a four year college for Nursing and I mentioned that I graduated from Phillips Junior College of New Orleans, and the admissions counselors gave me that smug "yeah right" look after I explained the situation of the school closing.  I am still looking for my transcripts also, and still paying on that student loan.

Cynthia wrote at 2008-08-20 16:36:40
Get your TRANSCRIPTS FROM A COLLEGE that is NOW CLOSED!! Check with the Board of Regents in the state where you attended college.  They may have the records archived.

I received my degree from Phillips Junior College in New Orleans in 1991.  I was promoted to department head of a major international hotel chain because I had experience (worked for that chain while attending Phillips)and a degree.

I am now seeking a bachelor's in accounting and was informed that it would take 3-4 months for the university I am attending to get my transcripts from Louisiana's Department of Education.  I did some research, sent an inquiry to the State Board of Regents; received a reply the next day - the person that would handle my request was out of the office.  I received a call on Monday, was emailed the request for transcript form, completed and mailed it with a money order on Tuesday.  I expect to receive a copy of my transcript within a week and be able to start on my bachelor's without having to retake unnecessary courses!

I hope this helps all of you who are working toward advancing your life through education.  

Karen Jackson wrote at 2009-10-18 18:45:07
I also attended Phillips Jr. College in Metairie, LA.  I also found out, when it was time to graduate, that they were not accredited.  The question was asked, but they said they were.  I received a pell grant and a student loan, so I thought they were accredited.  Now, here I am at 39 years old, with no credits to pass on to another college.  I find this to be very unfair.  I believe that we should all receive our money back from these schools, because they gave us false information and false hope.  I pressed to earn my Legal Secretary Diploma and was at the top of the class with my GPA.  I made the Dean's list and the President's list, while attending school, but without accreditation, where does that leave me?  This is so frustrating.  So many years have passed that I can't remember the address for the school, so I sometimes just leave off an entire year of expensive schooling.  The school closed down a few years after I graduated.  I do have the Diploma and the books from the courses, but nothing more.

Dywannie wrote at 2009-11-13 17:17:41
My husband and I had the same experience as you. Even though they said they were accredited, they were not ALWAYS, so the college had a reputation as being a joke.  My husband got his Associates there in Electronics (20 years ago) and has never gotten a SINGLE job off that degree.  Now, he wants to start over at the local community college and they said he can't because he already has an Associate's degree.  They told him he would not be able to get a student loan based on that, but he could write an appeal letter.  I just thought I would search online to see if there was anyone else out there with this experience.  Talking about being young and not knowing, the financial aid office (and I use that term loosely) did not inform my husband what he needed to do as far as deferrment, making payments - nothing and his loan went into default and there was not a thing we could do about it.  By the way Virginia College is handling Phillips Jr. College transcripts.  Good luck.

Susie wrote at 2009-12-29 04:21:36
I attended Phillips Junior College in Springfield, Missouri, for Paralegal, and I cannot seem to get my transcripts either.  I have decided to just start all over and be finished with it all.  It's a hassle, but I need to move on.

George wrote at 2010-05-17 02:28:52
Hi Michael,

My name is George and i was in that same collage as you were i graduated the same year and later finding out that the school closed out it was a really turnoff. i totally agree with you i paid a whole bunch of loans to a school that was  pretty much fake and laid to their students i need to obtain a transcript as well but i was not sure where to go so were you able to get a copy of your transcript?

thank you and all the luck to you.


jeaneedillon wrote at 2010-06-24 22:11:12
My husband had the sa,e trouble with Phillips located in Mississippi. The school collected all the monies from the government. Hw never graduated and also let the school when he fund out it was not credited.Well, 2 years ago the fed. gov. found out where my husband and garn8ished his pay. Hubby is 60 yrs old and i AM 70YRS OLD  HAD A LUNG REMOVED WITH CANCER AND KEMO. aND THE GOV. IS TAKING OUT 50.00 A WEEK FROM HIS PAY. The hardship is unbelievable. The school kept the money and now we are having to pay it back. What a ripoff.No they were not accredited and they are gone. I can't understand why the goverment has not come down on themand return the money they stole from us and many others.

Mike W. wrote at 2010-07-08 22:01:16
I attended Phillips Jr. College in Gulfport MS in 1981 and graduated with ASEET Degree in 1982.  At that time I believe the college was accredited.  I was able to use this education to obtain an entry level job in the field of electronics and have been with the same company for 27 years.  My instructors at that time were very good at vocational teaching, and they put an emphasis on how to make a career in the field of electronics.  It started out as a very good school.  It is disappointing that it's owner failed to deliver over the long term.  Some years ago I wanted to get a copy of my transcript and was able to track down one through Virginia College in Jackson MS.  That said, if I had to use this diploma to get work today, it would likely have no credibility with a perspective employer since the school no longer exists.

star wrote at 2011-07-18 19:13:38
Regarding a transcript from Phillips Jr College (aka Condie College) As of July 2011, you can still get a transcript from them.  They had campuses in 20 states. The custodian of their records is now:

CCI Corinthian Colleges Inc

PO Box 1480

Gulfport, MS 39502


Send a money order for $7050 with your school name and location, the years you attended, your name and adrs, your birthdate, the last four digits of your soc sec #.  Tell them you want a sealed transcript with an official seal.

PURPLEWARRIOR wrote at 2011-08-04 16:25:34

cms wrote at 2011-09-09 14:53:42
I thought I was getting an accredited paralegal degree...come to find out the school was not accredited and the degree is not worth the paper it was printed on...I called the Department of Education regarding the student loan...and was told "we gave you the money too bad you spent it poorly"  quote....

If I could find the guys that ran that school, I'd give them something to run from... crooks all.  

angee wrote at 2011-11-12 15:18:34
For anyone needing to get transcpipts from Phillips Junior College in from Springfield, MO:  Go to Everest College @ 1010 E Sunshine. I recently started back to college this fall, Everest College had my transcripts from 20 years ago from attending Phillips. I don't think it will do you any good though except from a financial aid point because I was recently speaking to my new colleges records office & was told that there was a problem with accreditation & that is why my transcripts (from Phillips) were not currently shown on my record.  

Shay wrote at 2012-10-05 16:01:13
I am one of many duped by PJC formerly located in Metairie. I tried the Board of Regents back in 2010 when they insisted at the university that they "needed" my transcripts. Imagine the embarrassment trying to explain to a prestigious university in the north (where MANY people insist we are rejects of society in the Sandler movie anyway), that I attended a school where I graduated in 1992 with an unusable paralegal degree 4.0 GPA...but over 10 years later wellinto my 30's I needed them to believe me. Now, I just want a copy of my transcripts sent to my SELF...if for nothing else, for the personal reasons of "was attendance some cruel imagination, as my thwarted attempts and the cynicisms of REAL colleges attest" or is it a 'memorex' memory synonymous to the war stories Vets exchange?

Rosanna wrote at 2012-12-12 01:20:59

I'm also a Phillips Jr. College 1996 graduate.  I've been trying to get copies of my official transcripts like crazy, but no luck.  Did anyone on here have any luck locating their transcripts?  If you did, could you post the information?  I want to go back to school, but it is very frustrating that I will have to start all over again.  I am in the process of going to a 4 year community college to get my AA degree again.

Thanks for your time,


Angela wrote at 2013-01-25 21:54:41
Hello everyone.  I just called CCI at 228-867-1905 and was told that my transcript is there from Phillips, but that it may have been destroyed in Hurricane Katrina.  The lady who answered was very nice and said she was going to research.  They have the transcripts in storage and she needed to confirm that mine is in one of those boxes.

drobinsonfl wrote at 2014-07-09 14:22:47
I just called this number and she was able to tell me that although there were transcripts that were destroyed during Katrina they did have my transcripts.  Give them a call - can't hurt to try.  Good luck!  

Annie Osborn wrote at 2016-07-21 13:58:24
I was also robbed my Phillips Junior College in Campbell CA.  Teachers were not qualified to teach the classes. Student loan officers, Office staff and Dean of school knew what they were doing.  I'm still paying on Student Loans that ruined my credit for an education that I did not receive. The US Government Department of Education will do help, the State of CA, who gave then their accreditation will not help.  A class action suit should be filed!  How many others are there that this happened to also.....thousands.  We were all screwed!

Sandy wrote at 2016-08-09 12:58:01
I am also a Phillips Junior College graduate.  The experience of transferring credits has been very disappointing.  The only positive that I have found is that some colleges will accept partial credit for the classes on your Phillips transcript.  I would advise anyone wanting to transfer their Phillips credit hours to talk to more than one college.  Call around until you find a college that will at least accept something.

Private School

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michael Wall


I am available to take questions on Alumni and development programs for college and K-12 schools. I do not take questions on closed for-profit schools.

©2017 All rights reserved.