Pro Golfing/Golf Irons

Question
Hi, I am a 8th grade student at Laville jr/sr highschool and I am doing a project on Golf Irons and have a quesrion for you. Do you think that weights in a golf iron will make the ball go further?

Answer
HI Matthew;

Why of course!  Simple physics says this.  The caveat (look it up) of this is that, at some time or another the weight of the golf club will become to heavy to swing efficiently.

The other thing with this is that you must distribute the position of the weighting in specific areas so as to maximize the force being delivered to the ball correctly.  By distributing the weights to specific areas on or around the face you will affect how the ball fly's in these three areas ... Direction, Height, Distance.  Primarily in that order, though a club could be designed to maximize it however the player wants in relation to his own Golf Equation.  Most tour players are looking to maximize direction for consistency in shot making first, though distance is also a big factor.

If you really want to research this totally. My suggestion for you is to talk with a Man named Tom Wishon.  He owns a company called Wishon Golf.  He is one of the most well known club designers in the industry.  His company is in Colorado.  

You can reach him at http://wishongolf.com/  If you call them and ask for his email and why, they will gladly assist you.  Best to reach him by email as he is a little hard of hearing.  Reach out and get the information you need, he will be more than happy to assist.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you, happy golfing and have a great day.

Robb Nunn
PGA Professional

Pro Golfing

Robb Nunn