Probability & Statistics/Getting into college

Question
Dear Clyde,

I have applied to 4 colleges and I want to know what the probability is I get into at least one of them.  I have assumed my chances are as follows:

School 1:  5%
School 2: 15%
School 3: 15%
School 4: 30%

Thanks for your help!

Answer
It is easier to decide the probability of an exact number, like "What is the probability I get into all of them?" or "..none of them?" or even ".. exactly two of them?"

The best way to rephrase this is:

"What is the probability I get into at least one of them?"

changed into:

"What is the probability I don't get rejected from all of them?"

The probabilities of rejection are the opposite, so:

School 1: 95%
School 2: 85%
School 3: 85%
School 4: 70%

Thus the probability of getting rejected from all of them is:

0.95 0.85 0.85 0.7 = 0.4804625

So roughly 48% that you get rejected from all, thus about 52% that you get into at least one.

Probability & Statistics

Clyde Oliver