Probability & Statistics/P value

Dear Clyde Oliver,

I have one question please.
I conducted the t test and got p value.
Does high p value mean that 2 testing variables are more identical? I tried several models/methods and need to choose one. But I need to choose models where 2 variables are more identical. In that case can I rely on the highest p value?
Thanks in advance.

No, it does not. The "p" value indicates the probability that the phenomenon you are testing occurred due to random chance.

Unless your p value is very small (less than 0.05), you would not normally say there is any statistically significant phenomenon in your data.

Probability & Statistics

Clyde Oliver

I can answer all questions up to, and including, graduate level mathematics. I do not have expertise in statistics (I can answer questions about the mathematical foundations of statistics). I am very much proficient in probability. I am not inclined to answer questions that appear to be homework, nor questions that are not meaningful or advanced in any way.

I am a PhD educated mathematician working in research at a major university.

Various research journals of mathematics. Various talks & presentations (some short, some long), about either interesting classical material or about research work.

BA mathematics & physics, PhD mathematics from a top 20 US school.

Various honors related to grades, various fellowships & scholarships, awards for contributions to mathematics and education at my schools, etc.

In the past, and as my career progresses, I have worked and continue to work as an educator and mentor to students of varying age levels, skill levels, and educational levels.