Probability & Statistics/median

what if there are two median and the other median has the same value, just like this one:

23 24 26 28 29 30 30 32 33 35

The median of a set of data is the middle value. If there are an even number of data, like your example, you can't find one specific middle value -- there are two in the middle.

Regardless of which two values you have, you always take the average of those two as the median. If the median values are the same, the average of two identical numbers is that value.

For example, if the data were 1, 2, 2, 3, the media would be the average of 2 and 2, which is 2.

If the data were 1, 2, 3, 3, the median is the average of 2 and 3, which is 2.5.

In your example, the middle two numbers are 29 and 30, so the median is 29.5.

Probability & Statistics

Clyde Oliver

I can answer all questions up to, and including, graduate level mathematics. I do not have expertise in statistics (I can answer questions about the mathematical foundations of statistics). I am very much proficient in probability. I am not inclined to answer questions that appear to be homework, nor questions that are not meaningful or advanced in any way.

I am a PhD educated mathematician working in research at a major university.

Various research journals of mathematics. Various talks & presentations (some short, some long), about either interesting classical material or about research work.

BA mathematics & physics, PhD mathematics from a top 20 US school.

Various honors related to grades, various fellowships & scholarships, awards for contributions to mathematics and education at my schools, etc.

In the past, and as my career progresses, I have worked and continue to work as an educator and mentor to students of varying age levels, skill levels, and educational levels.