Products Liability Law/Question Concerning Prof. Malpractice

Dear  Dr. Friedman,

I feel as though I have a good Legal Malpractice case. My attorney didn't show up to my (civil) court case, didn't notify me, the court, or anyone - before OR after (still hasn't contacted me or returned my many messages.)

The judge was very mad, and still held court; and I was found Guilty.

My atty. had all of the evidence and paperwork - everything, really, that I badly needed for the trial. The judge let me REALLY 'HAVE IT.'

This happened late last year - of course still well within the S.O.L.'s. (The atty. did many other very unethical things during the course of his "representation" of me, as well).

My lawyer had his own firm, in which he was the only attorney.

I recently saw in the newspaper that he had shut down his practice, and his office - and I panicked. He IS still listed on the Bar's website in my state, as having an active license - but it could expire any day.

Is it too late to sue him for L.M.? What if his license were to expire tomorrow?

Surely, an attorney (or doctor, etc.) can't just do ANYTHING to a client or patient, and simply shut down his/her business, and therefore be exempt from punishment (i.e. Malpractice suit).

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on this matter? Where do I start, NOW?! I would appreciate any information that you could give me!

Thank you very much,

Anne F.

I am sorry this happened to you.  The first thing you should do is file a bar complaint.  Hopefully the judge already filed one when the attorney failed to show up as scheduled.

The second thing you need to do is hire a legal malpractice attorney.  You can still file a lawsuit if you are within the statute of limitations.  Most attorneys who have insurance have a claims-made policy.  This means that the carrier is not notified until the attorney is notified of a claim.  Hopefully the attorney has maintained malpractice insurance.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Products Liability Law

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a civil litigation attorney since 1989 and am Certified as a Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona, Colorado (inactive) and the District of Columbia (inactive). I am also licensed with the District Court of Arizona, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.

I can answer general questions regarding products liability and injury matters. I do not give legal advice over the internet and it is helpful if you list where you live such as the country and/or state.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

I have been a civil trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosphy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who
Southwest Superlawyers
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
AZ Magazine Top Lawyers