Professional Football/Dallas Cowboys Players

Can you suggest a resource to find my name as a signee for the Dallas Cowboys in 1975?

May I assume that what we are speaking about is that you signed a contract with the 1975 Dallas Cowboys? If I am correct in this assumption, I am afraid that any "publications" that are available will not list any players that were signed (and again I assume) as a free agent or as a walk-on.
The most thorough source I am know of is Pro -- but just because the website says I am an expert, does not mean I know everything!

The Pro Football Reference website will give you lots of information, including the history of the Cowboys draft picks.  But as mentioned, there will be no mention of free agents or walk-on's unless they actually made the team (e.g. John Unitas 1956 Colts).  The NFL has never been a good record keeper.  Heck, if you go back to the 1950's, most teams don't have a record of the numbers worn by the players.

My suggestion, and this will be a stretch, is to make a friend with someone who has a little pull with the Cowboys.  It could be an intern, or the assistant club house manager.  It has to be someone who has access to the Cowboys history.  Chances are good that the Cowboys have moved their older records (i.e. 1975 season history) to a storage facility.  If the Cowboys (and this is a big "if") kept their records organized, then this person could look up your information. I would not be too optimistic.

On the other hand, if you put on shoulder pads and were assigned a number, then the PR Department would have written at least a couple of words in the form of a biography for the media. If you have a friend with the Dallas newspaper, they may have this on file. The biography may have been a photocopied handout for the press.

If you did not suit up, I think your chances go from slim to none.

I wish I had better news for you.  If I was signed by the Cowboys, I would love to have something to show for it.

If you want to pursue this, start with a letter to the Cowboys (wait until the season is over) and see where this takes you.

Best wishes,

Jim Considine  

Professional Football

Jim Considine

The subject of my expertise pertains to "American Football", as opposed to "Futball" or the game we refer to in the USA as soccer. --------------------------------------------------------- I can answer statistical questions about professional football. I am especially strong on the subject of the Baltimore Colts from 1947 through 1983, Washington Redskins, and the Baltimore Ravens. My services are best used when an older, obscure question is posed. The newer NFL records are easily accessible through I do not appraise memorabilia. I am not an expert on Canadian Football, though I will take a shot at any questions you might pose. I have a good understanding and recall of the folklore about Baltimore football. Some of this information may be subjective in nature. I will give the best answer possible if this is the case.

I was an NFL Statistician with the Washington Redskins. I grew up during the days of the Baltimore Colts in the 1960's. (Please refer to the movie "Diner" for more information about the Baltimore Colts fans)

Washington Redskins Statistician, 2005-2010 Baltimore Ravens, 1996-2003

The records were used by author Jon Morgan in his book, "Glory For Sale". The records have been part of the Baltimore Ravens Media Guides since their inaugural season in 1996. I was interviewed for the cover story of The Press Box, a local, monthly sports tabloid newspaper.

I researched and was able to piece together the statistical history of the AAFC Baltimore Colts 1947-49, and the 1950 NFL Colts. This information was used by The Baltimore Ravens for their 1996 Media Guide. The records were entitled "Baltimore Football Records". It was considered "unofficial" since the AAFC league records were not incorporated with the NFL records when the leagues merged. The reason that this information was created was due to the fact that the NFL had prohibited the 1996 Baltimore Ravens from bringing the records, colors, and team name from the Cleveland Browns. The Baltimore football records were presented in order to create a frame of reference. The Ravens have kept these records since 1996, adding and amending as the Ravens football team challenge these records.

I was awarded two game balls from the Ravens and was recognized for my work as the top game day employee.

Baltimore Ravens, Wise Guides, Washington Redskins