Professional Football/NFL Rule Interpretation

Question
Rule 7 Sec 5..Illegal motion...Backfield receiver (BFR) is in motion (parallel or back from LOS) at time of snap is legal..question is..does the BFR have to be looking straight ahead (in this case parallel or towards backfield)? I'm running along the 35yrd line, can I be looking up field at time of snap? I see a provision for "player behind center" being free to turn his head, but no other reference.

Answer
Baltimore Stallions at Memorial Stadium 1994, 95
Baltimore Stallions at  
Dear Refdavis,

If you read Section 7, article 5 pertaining to a man in motion, there is no mention pertaining to the what is the proper direction of the BFR's head.  I suspect that a few BFR's may have allowed their attention to drift towards the cheerleading squad.
The intent of the rule is to prevent a BFR from towards the LOS before the snap.  No "head starts" are permitted if you will.

To follow is the text from the 2013 NFL Rule Book.

Best wishes from Baltimore, and a fan of the CFL.

Jim Considine

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article 7:  Illegal Motion.  When the ball is snapped, one player who is lined up in the backfield may be in motion, provided that he is moving parallel to or away from the line of scrimmage.  No player is permitted to be moving towards the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.  All other players must be stationary in their positions.

Professional Football

Jim Considine