Professional Football/Vikki Zimmer's death

Question
as I look thru the news releases about new Vikings Head Coach Zimmer's wife Vikki's death, all that is said is She died of "Natural Causes"....Did the actual cause of death get released?

Answer
Stephen,

Yes, now that you mention it, this seems a little strange.  Like so many football fans, I felt badly for the man. In our society, prodding or asking questions is considered to be in bad taste.  The woman was only 50 years old, which is 28 years short of the average age of death for an American female.  She was a ballerina, and that meant in her younger days she was in excellent physical condition.

The Bengals were the 2009 team on "Hard Knocks".  Vicki Zimmer's baking cookies for the team was mentioned on the show. She was portrayed as a terrific person.

I attempted to chase down the answer.  As is the case with news nowadays, one person reports and the next 100 copy their feed.  Hence, we are lead to beleive that dying of natural causes is a satisfactory explanation. Luckily, people like you ask the follow-up question.

I found some statements online which offer a little more depth, above and beyond the rest of the carbon copy stories.  However, I am pretty sure that I am not going to be able to fully answer your question.  I will share what I found and suggest if you want to press the issue, maybe an investigative reporter will be interested in following up.  The thing about digging deeper is that whatever the answer is, it is not going to justify the effort of a news organization. This story was a heart breaker at the time.  No one wants to hear that Vicki Zimmer was less than magnanimous in her passing than she was in her life.  Obviously with the initial elimination of "foul play", the balance of the toxicity report would not be disclosed until about 6 weeks after her passing. This means that the story was off the front page, and off of most folks minds.  The Bengals season was over by that time and the sports reporters were awaiting the Superbowl.  

Another thought would be to search the Cincinnati newspapers.  They could provide an answer, though I doubt it.  I do not have access to the Cincinnati newspapers from my home in Baltimore.  If you are so possessed, you could contact a librarian in the periodical department of the main branch which may yield an answer.

If I were to proffer a guess, it is going to be something like acute hypertension and her family history will provide a genetic connection.  If it was something that the family did not want to make public, they might have kept the information private.

Here are the 2 substantial quotes that I unearthed ...

#1)  Hamilton County chief deputy coroner William Ralston says Vikki Zimmer died of natural causes. She was only 50. Ralston says it's "not all that rare" for someone as young as Zimmer to die of natural causes, a term that is used when a person dies and there is no foul play or drugs involved.

#2)  Following her sudden and unlikely death on Thursday, there had been quite a bit of speculation done on the cause. Nothing had been determined or no reason was put forth, until the autopsy results were made available. It was only after the death was ruled a natural one by the toxicology test report, that the stand was cleared. The medical examiner at the Hamilton County Coroners, Dr. O’dell Owens was however not able to state the exact cause of the death, as all the reports of the toxicology test had not been received. Therefore, foul play has been ruled out completely.

I should mention that I came across one website that my anti-virus program would not allow me to open and two websites that were gibberish.  Based on the amount of authentic stories on the subject, there was a lot of "junk" out there.

Best wishes,

Professional Football

Jim Considine