Professional Football/nfl punting

Question
I notice that about half the time a punter kicks, by the time he is in his motion to kick, everyones back is turned away from him.  This last sunday in fact, a long snap was really bad and actually hit the ground before the punter grabbed it.  He managed to get the kick off because no defensive player even saw the bad snap!
I dont for the life of me understand why more punters dont run for first downs or throw for first down.  On film it looks like a no brainer!  Freeze any video of a punt and youll see what i mean.  Wny am I the only one who sees this?  Thnx for your two cents.  Are coaches that conservative about everything ?  I alao keep track of how many punts lead to points and most of them do!  Half of punts make no statisical sense!

Answer
Craig,
I hear what you are saying.  Let me give you some reasons why punters do not get involved in trick plays.
1) Most punters are not "real" football players.  They are soccer players who can kick the heck out of a football. However, running or throwing the ball is not in their skill set.
2) Before the NFL started employing soccer players as kickers, lots of times the QB was also the punter.  There used to be a play called a "quick kick".  If the QB could punt the ball, he might do it on third down when the defense would be unprepared and the ball would go over their heads, hopefully rolling to a stop before it turned into a touchback.
3) Sammy Baugh, one of the greatest QB's of all times for the Redskins (1937-52) still holds a lot of NFL records for passing and punting.
4) The last punter I remember who could pass and run was "Hunter Smith" nicknamed "Hunter the punter". He played for the Colts and Redskins. I think it was the 2009 season and he lead a horrible Redskins team in touchdowns until the middle of the season.
5) So why don't we develop punters who can play football? Mainly because the distance that the ball is kicked has improved dramatically since using a kicking specialist like a former soccer player.  Heck, the kickoffs nowadays will regularly travel 80 yards in the air! Back in the day, the "football" kickers used to kick a ball between 50 & 60 yards.
6) The reason that the defense turns their backs on the punter is due to a notion of "risk and reward".  The risk of getting caught getting penalized for hitting the punter is not worth the reward of the blocked punt.
And that's my 2 cents. I don't disagree with your assessment of a typical punt nowadays and I expect that some coach & player is going to change it in the future.
Best wishes.

Professional Football

Jim Considine