Project Management/MS Project 2013 Duration Issue

I am having the following problem on MS Project 2013.

Start Date= 1st May 2013
Finish Date= 5 May 2013
Duration = 4 Days

Normally the auto schedule when I add 4 days project duration should show the 4th May as finish date and not 5th May.

My schedule is set at Fridays Off, Rest Days working.
Working Times = 8AM to 12PM, 1PM to 5PM.

I don't understand why project is adding an extra day in the schedule.

Please kindly assist. Thank you!!

Hello Asa,
I don't have MS Project 2013 on my machine. But I think I understand your problem.

You are right that if you were doing a schedule by hand then May 5th would be the Finish Date. Check to make sure the Calendar and your own schedule are in synch.
Check to see whether the Finish Date is set to the morning. If so then the Finish Date will be the morning after the actual last day of task.  There's a parameter, don't recall which menu (and I'm sorry I can't launch MSP and check it for you.)

In 2013 you have the default Calendar and Resource Calendar, right? Check working times of Resource Calendar.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll try to see if I can recreate on MSP 2007 (which I have on my machine).

Project Management

J. David Blaine, PMP

Please, no homework questions: it is unfair to your classmates. Can answer questions about: Initiating, Planning, Controlling, Measuring projects. Managing scope, time, cost, quality of projects. Risk management, managing project teams. Developing and using metrics.

Particular expertise in:
Software Engineering (real-time, embedded, general),
Systems Engineering,
Requirements Engineering
Cannot answer questions about:
Specific industries or technologies.

32 total years of experience in aerospace and telecommunications. Seven years experience teaching project management.

Project Management Institute; IEEE; ACM; American Society for Quality

PMI's PMBOK(r) Guide Third Edition.
Proceedings SEPG 2000 Conference.
Journal of Systems and Software.

BS Mathematics, magna cum laude
MA Mathematics
MS Electrical and Computer Engineering
ASQ Certified Software Quality Engineer (CSQE)
PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)