Project Management/Areas of Project Management

I was wondering what some of the bigger issues in project management were. I mean, there are the arguments about whether BIS or PM will be the one to win out over the other, and what kind of impact agile will have on the traditional project management methods. I don't have any experience in my field yet, so I don't have any real exposure to this kind of stuff. Was hoping you could maybe point out some other advanced practices in project management.

I am not familiar with BIS. I am assuming this is related to Business Analysis. There are many overlapping responsibilities between BA and PM and there has been increase interest in the role of the Business Analyst. The main focus of the BA is requirements collection and management which is a challenging assignment and also a major factor in project success. You may want to look into the BA Body of Knowledge and other literature about the BA role. Regarding Agile. It is still mainly used in the software development field but some techniques are being adapted into traditional project management. Take a look at the agile manifesto and the 12 principles of agile and I think you will see where the differences are between agile and traditional PM.

I don't think one will "win out" over another. There will be some overlap and there will be continuous development of project management techniques.

Major issues always being addressed by project managers:
Requirements management
Managing change effectively
Managing multiple projects and managing resources effectively
Project manager role to project leader role
Stakeholder management
the project manager as technical manager and project leader
Risk management
The continued interest in Agile techniques
Developing the appropriate KPIs CSFs and metrics and developing better dashboards for project status
Project Portfolio Management

Project Management

Frank P. Saladis

All questions related to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide), project leadership, managing teams, dealing with difficult people, managing change, managing risk, team building, project planning, project communications, preparing for the PMP exam.

28 years with AT&T - National Project Manager 3 years Cisco Systems - Professional Services Project Management Office 18 years as a Project Management Trainer and consultant with The International Institute for Learning Featured Keynote Speaker and track presenter at international project management conferences 1993 - present

Project Management Institute American Legion NY State NRCC Telephone Pioneers of America

Publications - 150 Project Leadership Articles Project Managemet World Journal Bringing the PMBOK Guide to Life, John Wiley Publishing 9th 10th and 11th edition Project Management Workbook for: Project Management - A Systems Approach,Kerzner, John Wiley Pubilishing PMI World Congress Proceedings 1993 -2012 Mastering people Skills - e-book, www, Positive Leadership in Project Management, IIL Publishing, 2013

Certfied Project Management Professional- PMP, Project Management Institute Masters Certificate - Commercial Project Management, George Washington University Leadership Institute Masters Class, Project Management Institute Certificate in Project Management - The Kerzner Approach, International Institute for Learning

PMI Person of the Year 2006 Certficates of recognition from more than 55 PMI Chapters (worldwide) Distinguished Speaker - NAAAP Visionary Leadership Award - IIL 2007 Distinguished Achievment Award - President PMI NYC Chapter 1991-2001