Property & Casualty Insurance/water damage

Suffered water damage to kitchen floor.  Floor is wood laid over concrete.  Insurance company paid claim to both me and my mortgage holder.    Mortgage company claims they are entitled to be named on insurance check so they can open an escrow account and make payments for replacement as job progresses.

Mortgage Co. claims the damage is structural.  I feel damage is to personal property and  not structural, and thus requiring insurance company to reissue check only to me.

Thank you.

Hello Jay,

Sorry to hear about your water damage.

Flooring is considered structural.

The wood flooring is still attached to the concrete.

Personal property or content are items which are not attached to the structure.  Like curtains, area rugs, clothing, furniture, etc.  Flooring is definitely part of the structure.

Kind Regards,

Property & Casualty Insurance

Deanna Terry

Please mark PRIVATE on your question in case I need to email you my personal contact information or a referral! I am a Public Adjuster who specializes in personal property/content claims. I can answer all questions related to personal property coverage and assist with questions about inventory lists and the valuation or pricing of the list. I assist homeowners, other Public Adjusters, and Attorney's for the insured with the proper preparation, development and valuation of their inventory. I can offer consultations and tools to assist the homeowner with learning how to prepare their own inventory list as well as review of inventories prior to submission. Please, I can not help with auto or dwelling questions.

Since 2004 I have been a licensed public adjuster advocating for the policyholder. I chose this path due to my own experience in losing my home to a fire. I specialize in total losses and complete preparation of inventory lists for submission to my client's insurance carrier. I can only adjust in the states I am licensed, North and South Carolina. However, I can assist with inventory and valuation preparation in ALL states.

President of 1st Hand fire victims assistance program President Claim Everything Personal Property consultants (

Associates Degree Specialty Courses in Insurance Adjusting State Civil testing Yearly Continuing education

United Way Award for Community Service to Fire Victims