Property & Casualty Insurance/"sewer backup"

Greg Roover - Public Adjuster wrote at 2012-04-05 17:57:01
I am a Public Adjuster in Florida so I am familiar with these claims in this area.  As Jay mentioned, every policy can be a bit different and can not give you a definite answer without first reviewing your policy.

I have seen many insurance companies deny claims for this exact reason and I feel it is improper.  It really comes down to where the blockage is.  If it is off of the premises then they would be correct but if it is from within your buildings plumbing system I feel that in most cases it should and would be a covered loss.  If you would like for us to review your particular case please contact us and we would be happy to take a closer look and give you some more educated advice.

Mindy wrote at 2012-11-11 04:45:12
I just had a sewer back up into my unit.  There is a continual problem with this at my condo.  I have tried over and over again to get the condo association to  maintain the sewer lines, but thru out the years they have refused to do so. I think one of the questions to ask is who is to  maintain these lines.  If it is a private sewer main then the condo association should maintain it.  If it is public line then your utility company should maintain it.   They have insurance to cover these things.  It is possible that your condo's master policy excludes coverage for sewer back ups. If coverage is excluded I would go after the Association.  I hope this helps.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM