Property & Casualty Insurance/re: hardwood floors

Question

My insurance company is Nationwide and they have agreed to replace my hardwood floors due to water damage. Do I have to go with the same type of wood which is pre-engineered or can I change to solid hardwood?

Thank you,

Mark

Answer
Mark:

Within your insurance company adjuster's estimate, he/she will pay you to replace your hardwood floors with "like, kind and quality".  If you choose to replace them with a different product, that's fine.  Just be aware that if your new flooring choice is more expensive, your insurance company is not obligated to pay you any additional funds to make up the difference.  Take lots of pictures during and after the repairs to show your insurance company that the repairs are finished.  They may hold back some of your funds until the repairs are done and you produce photos and/or a paid receipt from the contractor that did the work.  I hope this answers your question.  Have a great day!

Property & Casualty Insurance

Dominick Belinchak, Insurance Adjuster