Property & Casualty Insurance/re: hardwood floors



My insurance company is Nationwide and they have agreed to replace my hardwood floors due to water damage. Do I have to go with the same type of wood which is pre-engineered or can I change to solid hardwood?

Thank you,



Within your insurance company adjuster's estimate, he/she will pay you to replace your hardwood floors with "like, kind and quality".  If you choose to replace them with a different product, that's fine.  Just be aware that if your new flooring choice is more expensive, your insurance company is not obligated to pay you any additional funds to make up the difference.  Take lots of pictures during and after the repairs to show your insurance company that the repairs are finished.  They may hold back some of your funds until the repairs are done and you produce photos and/or a paid receipt from the contractor that did the work.  I hope this answers your question.  Have a great day!

Property & Casualty Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dominick Belinchak, Insurance Adjuster


Property & Casualty Insurance Claims -- Residential & Commercial. I've worked for approximately 20+ insurance companies and have adjusted just under 1,000 claims, including residential & commercial losses that involve business interruption, fire, smoke, pipe break, hurricane, sinkhole, flood, water damage, mold, theft, vandalism, rental properties, appliance water leaks and others. If you are hitting a "brick wall" with your insurance company or insurance adjuster, or have a coverage question, please feel to ask. I'm here to help you!


Texas Independent Insurance Adjuster 2004-current Florida Insurance Adjuster 2009-2014

BS Business Administration USF (Tampa) -- 1992

©2017 All rights reserved.