Property & Casualty Insurance/Water Heater burst

Question
Hello,
Back in August I cam home to my condo (in Florida) in the afternoon one day and found my floor to be flooded. I immediately began drying it. A few minutes later the downstairs tenant and the manager of the building knocked on my door to tell me that the water was leaking and damaging her apartment.  I called the plumber and he came over and shut it off. I thought that I was not liable for the damages to the condo downstairs because there is no way I could have known that the heater would bust. I do not have insurance. I now received a letter from an independent adjusting firm for my downstairs neighbors insurance company saying that they intend to subrogate against me for damages. $12,964! Am I liable? What should I do?
Thanks for your help,
Aaron

Answer
Aaron,

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Everything actually comes back to what the condo by-laws say as far as to what will happen. Condos are unique types of property because technically, you only own the finished surfaces and the air inside your own unit ... everything else is jointly owned with ALL of the owners of the other condos. There should be language within the by-laws that address this type of situation because it is so common. IF those by-laws say that each owner is liable for water escaping from their unit, then you are probably on the hook ... if not, then the other owner's policy can't really subrogate against you as there was no negligence involved in the loss. You were as much of a victim as the other owner was to an accidental discharge of water from a plumbing, heating or AC system.

You may have a problem if the by-laws stated that you were required to carry insurance with liability coverage and you didn't have that. This may be a hard way to learn that insurance should always be carried, even if there is little value in the property.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WIND® Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Property & Casualty Insurance

Kevin Hromas - JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, WIND Umpire