Property & Casualty Insurance/rental insurance


i own a duplex in orlando. i have 2  policy's. since both units are under one roof why can't i just get one policy with a rider on the other unit?

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your question.

Many companies write one policy for 1-4 family dwellings. If you live in one of the units, a homeowner policy can be used. If both units are rented then a dwelling fire policy should be written. Don't be confused by the name...a dwelling fire policy can cover the structure for the same perils as the homeowner policy.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions please let me know.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM


I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.


I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)

©2017 All rights reserved.