Property & Casualty Insurance/drywall repair.

Question
I'm on a condo board and my question is who is responsible for replacing the drywall that has been damaged by the leaking AC unit in a condo. The air handler for the unit is in the bathroom above the ceiling, the AC was not maintained by the owner and the unit leaked and caused damage to the drywall above the tub. is the condo association responsible to repair/replace the drywall or is the owner of the unit responsible.

Answer
Hi Raymond,
This can be a tricky question. In the majority of Condominiums, the unit owner is responsible for the walls inside his apt. It is written in the documents. Now, if I understand correctly, it is the unit owners apt, and he is responsible for his A/C Unit, and if his walls inside the apt need repair or replacing it is surely his responsibility. An exception to what I have just said, would be Century Village in Boca Raton, the Condo insurance is currently responsible for the inner walls, but they are trying to change that because it is not the norm. Please let me know if this helps and if you have any further questions. Good luck.

Steve

Property & Casualty Insurance

steve zimmerman