Property & Casualty Insurance/Drywall inside apt. unit

Dear Mr. Williams,

My unit's drywall was damaged as a result of a water loss in my apt.  The Condo Board sent out a general contractor to provide a repair estimate.  Said estimate was rejected on the grounds that the Board will not pay for a "grade A" repair or finish, only a standard finish.  Upon inquiring from the general contractor, he explained that with a "grade A" finish it's as if the damage never happened.  No one will be able to tell by looking at the wall, that part of it was sawed off and reattached.  However, with a std. finish, imperfections will be visible.  My walls did not have imperfections prior to this loss occurring, therefore I want them restored to their original condition.  Is this too much to ask for?

Hi Gladys,

Insurance is a risk transfer vehicle that is designed around the principle of indemnity. That means putting the damaged item back to the same condition it was in prior to the loss. By not allowing the "grade a" repair, the association is not complying with that principle.

Your association needs a reminder that insurable losses are subject to specific laws and they have no choice but to make you whole.

I hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have more questions.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM

I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.

I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)