Property & Casualty Insurance/Property of others (ccc)


A private school requires students to bring a laptop to school with them.  They are used in the classroom as well as on field trips.  If something happens to the computers on the school campus or in the school bus, would the school be able to recoup some of the loss under the property policy extension "property of others in the the insured's care, custody and control"?  For example, the machimes are left on the bus during a field trip and, while the bus is unattended, they are stolen.  My underwriter says no - that is not CCC.  But since CCC is not defined in the policy, I'm not sure that is the right answer. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Jackie,

Unfortunately, in my career I've discovered that there are two groups of people that know the least about coverage...underwriters and unseasoned claims adjusters!  Underwriters know a lot about what they don't WANT to cover, though.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that there is no specific definition. And, in fact, there is no specific requirement as to what constitutes control. However, the Commercial Property Form only covers property on or within 1,000 feet of the premises. As a result, the laptops are not covered because of that requirement.

I know that wasn't the answer you were hoping for. Let me know if you have more questions.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM


I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.


I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)

©2017 All rights reserved.