Property & Casualty Insurance/Property of others (ccc)

Question
A private school requires students to bring a laptop to school with them.  They are used in the classroom as well as on field trips.  If something happens to the computers on the school campus or in the school bus, would the school be able to recoup some of the loss under the property policy extension "property of others in the the insured's care, custody and control"?  For example, the machimes are left on the bus during a field trip and, while the bus is unattended, they are stolen.  My underwriter says no - that is not CCC.  But since CCC is not defined in the policy, I'm not sure that is the right answer. Thanks for your assistance.

Answer
Hi Jackie,

Unfortunately, in my career I've discovered that there are two groups of people that know the least about coverage...underwriters and unseasoned claims adjusters!  Underwriters know a lot about what they don't WANT to cover, though.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that there is no specific definition. And, in fact, there is no specific requirement as to what constitutes control. However, the Commercial Property Form only covers property on or within 1,000 feet of the premises. As a result, the laptops are not covered because of that requirement.

I know that wasn't the answer you were hoping for. Let me know if you have more questions.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM