Property & Casualty Insurance/Damaged metal roof-Denied

Question
I have a standing seam metal roof over my shop in Wisconsin. It has been dented by 2.9" hail. It is on a slight pitch and is not very visible from ground. The dents are about the size of  quarter. The insurance company admits it has been damaged by hail. But claims that it isn't or wont compromise the performance or future performance of the roof.This was reported by an engineering from they provided. Arent they supposed to restore the roof like it was before in like kind and quality? I have a very powerful microscope,(for watching microorganisms in seed testing) so i took a piece off and it looks like there are scratches on the galvanised material on the metal.

Answer
Jey,

Unless you have an endorsement excluding "cosmetic damage", then the roof should be covered for replacement if it is not repairable. If you have a commercial policy, you may very well have that endorsement as it is becoming more and more common. A dented roof IS damaged though and would meet the definition of covered damage under the policy without the endorsement. The principle behind "cosmetic damage" is that it merely affects the look of the item without substantially affecting the purpose of the roof - to shed water and protect the interior.

As for the scratches in the coating, keep in mind that those coatings are usually hot-dipped and unless the underlying metal itself is exposed, will not shorten the life of the metal.

If the company is denying the claim, they must provide you with an explanation in writing and actually quote the policy language under which the denial is premised.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WIND® Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Property & Casualty Insurance

Kevin Hromas - JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, WIND Umpire