Property & Casualty Insurance/FL/Circuit Breaker Box

Question
Hi Jay,
I'm in Florida. Have read many of your answers but just want to be double-e sure before I approach Association that always, emphatically, answers w/"it's your responsibility"!!! Had some breakers sparking & making static sounds-had an electrician replace but now others are doing it. Am I correct that the Breaker Box is Association responsibility? (it's even the original)and a Big sliding door is out of kilt leaving a huge gap where cold & heat come in (also original) this is theirs, too?  Sooooo glad you're here Jay & thanks for your consideration.  Angi

Answer
Hi Angi,

You may not like me as much after I answer your questions!  :/

Here's the important thing to remember when it comes to triggering the Statute...it has to be an insurance-related loss.  When that happens, the Statute takes precedence over the Declaration of Condominium...your condo docs.  However, if it's just a maintenance and repair issue, then the condo docs are what tell us who is responsible for what.

Unfortunately this really is not an insurance question because there is no insurable loss...YET!  If the breaker box shorts and causes damage or starts a fire, then the association is clearly responsible for the damage under the Statute.  In your case, it sounds more like a wear and tear/maintenance issue.

This will be the same with the sliding door.  

I'm sorry I don't have as great a response for you on your particular issues as I've had on others.  

Please don't let this stop you from asking if you have additional questions.

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM