Property & Casualty Insurance/Basement flooding

Question
I live in Illinois and I have State Farm Insurance.  During a recent rainstorm, our finished basement flooded with about an inch of water.  The carpet, padding, and baseboards were removed by a company.  There was no damage to any other personal belongings.

My homeowners policy contains additional "sewer and drain" coverage for which I pay an extra $245 per year and it covers up to "$10,000."

The water in the basement came through the floor around the perimeter and along cracks through the center of the floor.  We documented this through pictures.  Is this something that is covered even if the sump pump totally failed?

I am waiting for an adjustor to come in which could take several days. The person I talked to on the phone would not give me assurance that I will be covered.

Thank you.

Answer
Craig,

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are out of luck on your homeowner's policy providing any coverage.

When rainwater hits the ground, it changes the character into "surface water or rising water" ... damage which is specifically excluded under the policy.

The "sewer back-up" endorsement provides coverage specifically for the situation where there is a blockage in the lines and sewage backs up into the house. (I have seen million dollar homes with 6" of sewage through-out the first floor. Not a pretty sight!)

If you had a flood policy in place, there has to be a general condition of flooding for it to activated and that requires at least 2 adjacent properties to have the same condition of flooding. Even if you had one, there are severe limitations on what is covered inside a basement. The carpet would not be one of those items unfortunately.

The only way that there would be any coverage would be if the storm itself created an opening in the building envelope and that was how the water entered. Imagine a hole in the roof. Just seeping in through cracks and the walls would not qualify.

Wish I could have given you a different answer but State Farm will be issuing you a formal denial stating the actual policy language and exclusion that applies.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WIND® Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Property & Casualty Insurance

Kevin Hromas - JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, WIND Umpire