Property & Casualty Insurance/Commercial Property & CGL

Question
Our insured is a condominium.  One unit owner claims that her kitchen cabinets have termite damage.  The claim was denied under the Commercial Property portion of the policy (Causes of Loss - Special Form CP 10 30 10 90) stating the "insects, birds, rodents or other animals" exclusion.  Now the unit owner wishes to pursue her claim under the Liability portion of the policy (CG 00 01 10 01) alleging that the termite infestation originates in the condominium's utility room (handyman's).  We understand that no coverage is afforded under the GL since the kitchen cabinets are part of the building. Before we enter into any legal liability matters, we would like to address the coverage issue first.  Thank you for your input.

Answer
Hi Norma,

Unfortunately, the unit owner can bring suit...however, the court may throw it out.  In the meantime, the CGL would provide defense.  That being said, I can't imagine any attorney foolish enough to accept a case like this.  

In order to bring a successful suit, the unit owner would have to prove negligence on the part of the association.  I'm not sure how anyone could prove negligence related to termites in an environment where termites thrive.

Personally, I don't think it matters who is responsible for the cabinets.  The loss of use of the unit could be enough of an inconvenience to warrant some sort of compensation.  But again...while I'm not an attorney...i just don't see any issue that could cause a successful negligence-related suit.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM